August 16, 2011

My First Dinner Guests

I made it!



After a full week of in-service time in Anchorage, an almost weather delay in Bethel, and a ride with a howling dog I finally made it to Scammon Bay. I arrived on an airplane filled with my fellow new teachers and three villagers (who sped away on their 4-wheeler before the plane's propeller had even stopped moving). We were greeted by a veteran teacher and her husband, who threw all of our stuff (and us) in the back of the school pick-up and carted us through the village to teacher housing.

I can honestly say that we were all shocked when we all arrived before most of our stuff that had been shipped out months before hand (we later discovered most of it was just stored in the post office and various locations through out the school.) We also discovered that most of our food had been left in Anchorage.

To say that beginning a new school year is stressful would be an understatement. I am in a new state, a new home, with a new job and a new roommate. I promise that I will write all about it at a later date, but I am sitting in my classroom at 9:40pm right now, typing away a blog when I should be unpacking my home or getting ready for bed. I can quickly tell you that my classroom is beautiful and my class list is set. I have seven preps, which is very stressful but that's what I get for being the only high school social studies teacher. Some of my levels only have two students... but more on that at a later date (I promise).

Instead, I will leave you all with this charming photo of our dinner visitors who stopped by to welcome us to the village on their way to the playground. They met five new teachers and the councilor from their vantage point on the doghouse outside of our door, looking through the kitchen window:


Cutest dinner guests I've ever had peaking in my window...

No comments:

Post a Comment