December 03, 2011

Sometimes You Have To Say Goodbye

The past few days here in Scammon Bay have been my most difficult to get through. I knew when I moved here that I would be giving up a lot of things like a reliable source of fresh produce, easy access to medical care, a social life, and alcohol. What I didn't process when I took my teaching job was just how much I was cutting myself off from the comforts of family.

I have stated previously when writing this blog that I have the best family ever, hands down. I believe that with all of my heart and am thankful for them every day.

Today my family lost a true gift from God, a woman who will be deeply missed every day. She was a true foundation and rock for our family; the loss of her stories will leave a silence in our hearts that can never be completely filled even though her love will always stay with us. 

I am sad that I could not be there to say my final goodbyes to my Grandma Rachel, but I am thankful that she passed peacefully- surrounded by her children and grandchildren. 

May the angels lead you into paradise: may the martyrs receive you at your coming, and lead you into the holy city, Jerusalem. May the choir of angels receive you, and with Lazarus, who once was poor, may you have everlasting rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment